Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 12. The Courthouse
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Center Town Map | Next Stop
First constructed in 1805 and 1806, with a wing added in 1811. The Grecian column porch was built in 1835. With the exception of this porch, the entire building was replaced in 1854 and 1855. The rear section was added in 1909 through 1911, and the new eastwing was built in 1963-1964. The Soldiers and Sailors War Memorial and statue of Andrew Gregg Curtin were dedicated in 1906. The Memorial was designed by Joseph M Huston, the architect who designed the State Capitol Building in Harrisburg. The intersection of four streets in front of the Courthouse, known as The Diamond, has been the hub of all activity in Bellefonte since its founding and is representative of the Pennsylvania Diamond, characteristic of towns in Pennsylvania and nearby areas which were settled by Pennsylvanians.
Click here to view a gallery of historical images of The Courthouse and The Diamond
Fred D Smith Collection