Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 23. Reynolds Mansion
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Center Town Map | Next Stop
Located on the corner of Allegheny and Linn Streets, the Reynolds Mansion was built in 1883 and 1884 for Major William F Reynolds. The building is primarily in Queen Anne style, with towers and overall asymmetry, but with Gothic Revival tones in the use of stone, steeply-pitched roofs, and gables, and Italianate influences in the tall, narrow windows and the prominent eave brackets. The thirty-room interior features ornate fireplaces, parquet floors, and stained glass windows. Its construction of red sandstone required twenty Italian stone-masons and an army of other artisans. Someone even fashioned a workable central heating system fueled by additional fireplaces in the basement. A two-story carriage house was added in 1893. Later, the house became the home of Col. W Fred Reynolds, who was instrumental in locating the Diamond wooden match company in Bellefonte. Once a church, it fell into disrepair but was restored by private owners, and more recently has been turned into into a very popular bed and breakfast. Photo courtesy of the innkeepers, Mike and Tricia Andriaccio.
Click here to view a gallery of historical images along North Allegheny Street
Fred D Smith Collection