Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 19. The John Blair Linn House
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Center Town Map | Next Stop
Situated at 133 North Allegheny Street, the building known as the Linn House was originally erected for Judge Jonathan Walker in 1810 by Philip Benner, pioneer Centre County Ironmaster. He was the first ironmaster in the United States to ship iron to Pittsburgh in 1812. Iron was made at Rock Forge along Spring Creek, southwest of Bellefonte. The house was later occupied by Judge Charles Huston and Governor James A Beaver. Historian John Blair Linn, who in 1883 wrote Linn's History of Centre and Clinton Counties, and who married Benner's granddaughter, moved into the house that her grandfather had built. The structure is of Trenton limestone, one of the excellent building materials found in this area. The quality of this limestone has given rise to one of the major industries of present-day Bellefonte. This building reflects the Georgian period of architecture so prevalent throughout Bellefonte in early 19th century houses. It presently houses The Bellefonte Art Museum for Centre County. A gallery displaying photographs, architectural drawings, and other materials related to the Bellefonte architect Anna Wagner Keichline will be located on the second floor of the Museum beginning in November, 2011.
Click here to view a gallery of historical images along North Allegheny Street