Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 20. Potter Home (Centre County Library)
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Center Town Map | Next Stop
Built at the edge of the sidewalk on the corner of Allegheny and Howard Streets in 1815 by John Miles, son of Colonel Samuel Miles, Mayor of Philadelphia and founder of Milesburg. It was then sold to The Honorable W W Potter, lawyer and congressman. After Potter's death, the home was occupied by E C Humes, one of the leading businessmen, and his wife, the niece of Congressman Potter. This Georgian building was jacked up and moved back twelve feet from its original site in 1896. The house was bequeathed in 1935 to Bellefonte for use as county library. It presently houses part of the Centre County Library and its Pennsylvania Room for genealogical research.
Click here to view a gallery of historical images along North Allegheny Street
Fred D Smith Collection