Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 44. Canal
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Entire Map | Next Stop
This location along Spring Creek, between the intersections of West Curtin Street and West Linn Street with Water Street, marks the terminus of the Bald Eagle and Spring Creek Navigation Company Canal. In 1834 the Bald Eagle and Spring Creek Navigation Company began the construction of a canal to provide barge transportation of the iron along the same route as the Bald Eagle, Nittany, and Bellefonte Turnpike, which was built in 1833, following Spring Creek into Bellefonte. The canal was completed in 1848 and was in operation until 1865. The canal ran along the east side of the creek (opposite bank). At this location, in 1859, the first steam locomotive ever to operate in North Central Pennsylvania over the famous Bellefonte-Snowshoe Railroad was unloaded.