Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 45. Thomas Homestead and the Wren's Nest
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Entire Map | Stop One
The rear portion of the Thomas Homestead, built in 1785, is the
oldest house in present day Bellefonte. It was built by William Lamb. He
sold it to Thomas Gordon in 1788, and Gordon sold it to John Dunlop in 1795.
was Ironmaster and Proprietor of the
famous "Belle Font Forge." He was the son of
Colonel James Dunlop.
Colonel Dunlop and his son-in-law
Harris laid out the original plan of Bellefonte, then known as "Big Spring." The
house was purchased by William A Thomas, Ironmaster, from the John Dunlop
Estate, in 1834, at which time the Georgian front section, pictured here, was
added and named "The Wren's Nest."
John Dunlop lived in several homes besides the Thomas Homestead. In 1797 he built Logan Furnace Mansion on Route 144 between Axeman and Pleasant Gap, a house on the national registry, and lived from 1803-1806 in The Owles that stood on a lot next to the Courthouse that is now occupied by the Faith Centre. In 1806 he built Forge House across the road from his Belle Font Forge.