Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 10A. Curtin Residence (Elks Lodge)
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Center Town Map | Next Stop
The Curtin Residence is located at 120 West High Street. This building was originally the home of Andrew Gregg Curtin. Built in 1868 of limestone, it is a superb example of Tuscan revival architecture with handsome bracketing. Curtin was the first Republican Governor of Pennsylvania, 1861-1867; organizer of the famed "Pennsylvania Reserves," who saved our nation's capitol from confederate capture following the first battle of Bull Run. He was one of seven governors who came from Bellefonte. The front porch, constructed from the piers of a viaduct built over Spring Creek in 1895 by the Warner Company, was added in 1909 by the Elks, who purchased the property for $10,000.
Click here to view a historical gallery of images of West High Street, including the Curtin Residence
house to the left of the Curtin residence is
the J M Benner House, built in1825, later used as Beezers Meat Market, then
replaced by G.C. Murphy dime store. Today it is the Faith Centre.
Fred D Smith Collection