Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 35. The Cemetery Gatehouse
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Entire Map | Next Stop
Situated on Howard Street, at the main entrance of the Union Cemetery, this building is believed by some historians to have been part of the law office of Andrew Gregg Curtin. It may have been moved from the Crider Exchange Block on North Allegheny Street. The alternative history is that it was built in 1859 as, indeed, a gatehouse to the cemetery and home of the cemetery's superintendent. The gables on the front, with their downward-pointing decorations, are in distinctive Gothic Revival or Folk Victorian style.