Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 34. 100 Block of South Allegheny Street and Strychnine Corner
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Center Town Map | Next Stop
Most of this block, including the corner of East Bishop Street (left in the photo above), was destroyed in the fire of 1885. The southwest corner, where the postal box now stands, was then called "strychnine corner" because of the notable number of bars and saloons located there. The historic photo below shows the corner in its older days. Note the Brockerhoff up the hill on Allegheny in the top photo.
Click here to view a gallery of historic images along South Allegheny Street
Strychnine Corner. Fred D Smith Collection
Diagonally across the corner, the home of Bond Valentine was later converted to the Brant Hotel. The site is now Mike's Video.
Fred D Smith Collection