Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 25. 420 North Allegheny Street
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Entire Map | Next Stop
Located at 420 North Allegheny Street, this house is representative of the homes built by Bellefonte Ironmasters in the nineteenth century. It was constructed by George Valentine of the Valentine Iron Company in 1879. Like many houses in Bellefonte, it seems to be an amalgam of styles, including a Gothic Revival pitched roof, windows, and eave brackets, and a Second Empire square tower. Perhaps the Queen Anne-like porch was added later.
According to Richard Knupp, Sr. (Bellefonte Secrets, February 2012), citing land records, the traditional account above is not true. This house probably was built and lived in by Charles McCafferty; the Ironmaster's Mansion of George Valentine was half a block north on the northeast corner of North Allegheny and Curtin Streets. That stone mansion is in Second Empire style.
Click here to view a gallery of historical images along North Allegheny Street