Virtual Walking Tour of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
The Talleyrand Park Citizens Committee
Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association
Stop 1. The Train Station
BHCA Home | Virtual Tour Home | Center Town Map | Next Stop
Located at Talleyrand Park, and across the street from the former Bush House, The Bellefonte Railroad Passenger Station was built in 1889. It was renovated in 1975-1976 by the Borough of Bellefonte, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Historical Site Commission. Today it houses the Bellefonte Intervalley Area Chamber of Commerce and the Bellefonte Historical Railroad.
In 1857 bituminous coal was discovered at Snow Shoe, and by 1862 the coal was brought to Bellefonte on the new Bald Eagle Valley Railroad, constructed with assistance from the Pennsylvania Railroad. By 1864 a complete rail system from Lock Haven, through Milesburg, to Tyrone had been established. It was on this system that twelve passenger trains a day came into Bellefonte.
Click here to view a historical gallery of images of West High Street, including the Train Station
The Train Station, about 1910. Fred D Smith Collection